We present some details of our current rolling stock both operational and under restoration. This page will be updated as restoration projects proceed.
660 Class Railcar set 661/726
661/726 is a former NSW Railways 620 Class Diesel Railcar set built in the 1960s. This series of cars usually operated as permanently coupled two car sets throughout NSW. Trailer car 726 was purchased by LSMR in 2014 to replace 761, the original partner to Motor car 661, which was damaged beyond repair in a fire in the shed at State Mine in 2005. The set was restored at Lithgow Railway Workshops which operates at LSMR. 661/726 is fully operational and has been used on LSMR tours. In 2017 the set was leased to a Resort in Byron Bay in northern NSW where it operates a shuttle service to the town.
26 Class Steam Locomotive 2605
2605 is one of 20 I Class saddle tank locomotives built in 1880 by Dubs & Co of the UK. The locomotive was placed in service on 1 March 1892 and was withdrawn from government service in July 1964 and sold to Portland Cement Co on 26 October 1966. Originally numbered 21 (2nd) the locomotive was renumbered 2605 in the New South Wales Government Railways locomotive reclassification of 1924. 2605 was acquired by Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park and Railway and later transferred to Lithgow State Mine Railway when that organisation divided into mining and railway interests. The locomotive is currently undergoing restoration and is expected to be operation in mid 2016.
Ex-BHP Diesel Electric Locomotive D34
D34 is a diesel locomotive built by English Electric, Rocklea for Australian Iron & Steel's, Port Kembla steelworks in 1969. It was the largest locomotive operated by Australian Iron & Steel to haul coal trains from Kimera, Nebo and Wongawilli collieries to Port Kembla. Lithgow State Mine Railway purchased D34 in April 2011.
Ex-BHP D9 Class Diesel Electric Locomotives D20 and D23
The D9 Class diesel locomotives were built by English Electric, Rocklea for Australian Iron & Steel's, Port Kembla steelworks between 1856 and 1960. D20 and D23 are operational and are used for shunting around the workshops and the State Mine Branch.
Ex South Australian 1st and 2nd Class carrieages BE 343 and BE346
BE 343 is one of two ex-South Australian 1st and 2nd Class carriages acquired by LSMR. Both are in an advanced state of restoration and will be used for passenger services on the State Mine Branch.
NSWGR LCH four-wheeler wagon
One of two former NSWGR LCH four-wheeler wagons converted back from RCH and restored for LSMR.
Former NSWGR S truck
A former NSWGR S truck four-wheeler wagon has been restored for LSMR.
NSWGR four-wheeler flat wagon
Former NSWGR four-wheeler flat wagon L00038 has been restored for LSMR.